Last night I read in the local paper that the traveling exhibit The Apron Chronicles was coming soon to a museum near us. This is an exhibit of 200 vintage aprons and the stories that go with them. So that got me thinking, about a lot of things - aprons, how women throughout history have shown their creativity. Who do you remember from your life wearing them? For me, it is my Great Aunt Stella, who lived in St. Paul, whenever we visited you would find her in the kitchen cooking, with her apron on. I wonder if any of her aprons are still around? So then I started thinking about history, aprons, quilts and other textiles in the home. These items had to be one of the only ways that the women who helped build this country could have a creative outlet. Their days were filled with the hard work of living, but in the evenings as they sewed things that they needed for everyday life they were able to express themselves by their choices of fabric and designs. We'll never know so many of the stories behind those quilts or the aprons. So I celebrate an exhibit that will showcase and tell the stories behind some aprons. I'm going to make it a point to see this exhibit. This brings me to stories . . . . we all have them, no matter how small and insignificant we think our lives are. We each have something within us to tell, to share that may entertain or help others. I truly believe that our stories are the fabric of our lives. This summer our town was lucky enough to play host to The StoryCorps. This organization is the neatest thing. They are traveling around the country recording stories of people all over the US, each conversation is recorded on a free CD to share, and is preserved at the Library of Congress. You can hear StoryCorps stories every week on NPR. My Dad participated in StoryCorps this summer and my Mom interviewed him about his hobby of amateur radio. I think that's the neat thing about this concept, you don't have to tell a "story" you just share something about your life. Imagine future generations hearing our oral histories. It's all very cool if you ask me.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment